Saturday, October 07, 2006

 

Crossing Paths at the CHI "Walk and Roll"


The Gibsons cross paths with Neil Cudney many times in the course of a year. Dianne sees him at work where he serves as Director of Pastoral Services at Christian Horizons. He is part of the church planting team at Mill Crossings Church in Cambridge, ON (they attended some seminars I held). Neil is a conference official with the United Brethren in Christ (one of my leadership resourcing projects this fall). He is also an active volunteer with Children's Homes International (where I serve as vice chair of the board).

Last Saturday, Neil and I literally crossed running paths in the CHI "Walk and Roll" at RIM Park in Waterloo, ON. Neil, a "Clydesdale" (a jogger in the heavyweight division), contacted me to sponsor him to run 10 kilometres to raise funds for CHI's ministry to children at risk in Guatemala, Ethiopia, Sri Lanka, and India. I offered, instead, to run with him to verify for his sponsors that he had really completed the commitment!

When I arrived at RIM Park at 10:00 AM on October 1, it was raining and I discovered Neil had already started his run! So I took off on the "out and back" trail along the Grand River, map in hand. Out near the end of the trail, I found him. He had already made the turn and was on his way back. The photo (staged after the fact) shows the completion of the 6 mile odyssey. We tried to imitate (unsuccessfully, I think) the Olympic scene in the movie, "Chariots of Fire."

The following week, I received a copy of Neil's e-mail to his sponsors, reporting that he had completed the 10 K and that it was time for them to cough up their money. I sent a follow-up message to his distribution list verifying that he had indeed done the distance and signing off with the words, "Surprised and impressed ..." The best reply was: "Hey Glen I have my suspicions. I think he rode his motorcycle. I'm in South Carolina but I guess I will have to believe you guys."

Way to go, Neil! It's an honour to associate with great guys and to help you make a difference in so many different places. I hope our paths continue to cross! GG

Comments:
Hey, I know those two guys!

Nice post...it doesn't even look like the weather was that bad when you look at the photo. Oh, the wonders of photography.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?