Monday, August 14, 2006

 

Managing Stress and Avoiding Burn-Out -- A Resource


During my summer vacation, I've read with interest a book entitled, "Clergy Self-Care: Finding a Balance for Effective Ministry", by Roy Oswald. It has challenged me to deal more realistically and proactively with two real dangers for all of us who work with people: managing stress and avoiding burnout.

According to Oswald, stress is stimulation that comes from challenge and change in our lives. In moderation, it can help us to be more productive. However, improperly managed, it can become chronic and destructive. The Stress Self-Assessment Tool in the book helps one to know whether the levels are appropriately low or up in the danger zone. As I read this section of the book, I recalled Dianne's comment, "Glenn doesn't get stress -- he gives it." To those whom I have pushed over the edge at times, I am truly sorry!

The other issue addressed in the book -- avoiding burnout -- was a timely topic for me. Oswald describes burnout as a loss of energy, confidence, idealism, and optimism as a result of fatigue, depletion, and disappointment. After scanning the book's Burnout Self-Assessment Tool, I realized that I need to pay attention to this issue in the remaining months of 2006.

How does Oswald recommend avoiding burnout? Maintaining the right balance between ministry engagement and personal self-care. Health-giving self care addresses all facets of life: physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. It's what Stephen Covey calls, "sharpening the saw" -- looking after yourself so that you can be more effective in the long term. Oswald takes his reader through 11 different self care areas to help a person think through a comprehensive plan that will help them find and maintain that balance point. So I'm working on that these days now that I'm back from vacation.

For more about this book or this issue, drop me a note! GG

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?