Sunday, June 18, 2006

 

1 Hour, 4 Minutes, 12 Seconds ... Waterloo 10K Classic


It was definitely not a good result in today's Father's Day race in Waterloo! But, it was probably what I deserved. Why? I didn't stay on track sufficiently for the whole preparation schedule (travel and conferences can really interfere with one's training regime!). A few too many restaurant meals were still stuffed into my running shorts! It's the kind of wake up call that I needed at this point in the season. Get more focused and make it happen!

But I can't help feeling good about the outing! Everybody's times were slower because of the extreme heat and humidity. While a number of runners were being treated for heat stroke, I ran within my limits and had the sense to walk at several points in the middle of the race to avoid overheating. I ran the first kilometre at my target pace. The last 3 K were my fastest ever in a 10 K run. I was able to move up over 20 places in the final stage of the race! No pictures this time -- my usual photo team was away for this one.

Sometimes the positives of an experience are in the pieces rather than the whole, in the learning rather than the result, and in what it will produce later instead of what happened now. So ... in my mind, today was an excellent day! GG

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?