Sunday, April 23, 2006

 

First Half Marathon Completed ... In the Rain!


Running a 13.1 mile (22.1 kilometre) race is a first for me. Doing it at 53 years old had one family member unsure about my sanity. When I laced on my shoes this morning, my hope was simply to complete the course. It was pouring rain when the gun went off at 10:00 AM in the Waterloo Half Marathon.

It went better than I expected. Despite the steady rain, the hilly course, and the cool temperatures, I felt good through the race and passed a bunch of younger runners in the last 5 K. I was able to give a good "kick" at the end and finished with a respectable chip time of 2 hours, 12 minutes, and 2 seconds.

Dianne and my friend, Randall Rehkopf, (who finished in 1 hour and 49 minutes!) were waiting in the rain at the finish line to congratulate me. The pictures taken aren't digital -- so it will be a couple of days before they are posted here.

I would love to do it again, but definitely need some recovery time! I would like to try it on a sunny day next time. GG

Comments:
Hi Great run. I remember your friend passing me just before the finish line I was thinking ‘were did this guy come from’. It sure was a wet day out there.. Took me a few days to dry out.

Once again, great run.

Cheers.

Rice.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?